- Wong Sai Wan, managing editor of The Star, has resigned to join Redberry at a senior level as Director of Special Projects. His move, together with more talk of Redberry taking over Malaysian Insider staff to run Malay Mail Online, comes as part of Redberry’s moves to strengthen its position as a media house.
- Sai Wan, who has been 29 years with the Star, joins Redberry on July 15 and will handle both editorial and corporate matters. He is the second senior “mainstream” editorial executive snared by Redberry after having taken on a host of people from The Sun to run the Mail. Last year Syed Nadzri Harun joined Redberry after retiring as group editor of New Straits Times.
- Redberry’s taking over of Malaysian Insider editorial staff has been talked about for months. Two week ago, Malay Mail staff said the move was expected “in early June” but Insider people said no resignations had been handed in at the time.
- Leslie Lau and sister Joan Lau, both senior Insider editors, are to head the new Malay Mail Online team. The team will run Malay Mail Online in a new company financed by Chan Thye Sing of P & O insurance, who has holdings in both Redberry and the Insider.
- Clement Hii’s Focus Malaysia weekly, the competitor to The Edge, is expanding with a new youth-centred lifestyle section which will be an alternative to the Edge’s lucrative ad-packed section. The new publication is to be called Malaysian Weekly. Read more…
from the Star and Bernama
The body of a man was retrieved from the Kelisa crushed under the collapsed ramp of Penang’s Second Bridge this evening. He was alone in the car, and was found slumped over the dashboard. Last night, it had been feared that four people were in the car.
Three other people were injured: construction workers Slamat, 36, from Indonesia, and Tin Maung Iwin, 39, from Myanmar, who are in stable condition at Penang GH; and a woman motorist, Thilasheni Rajendran, 24, who was hit by falling debris when she managed to stop her car just 2m from the collapsed ramp. Her companion, Gajashaantini Gajanujan, 24, was unhurt.
Rescue teams are pressing on with the search to follow up on public information that several vehicles were trapped under the rubble. A canine unit from Kuala Lumpur might be called in tomorrow (Saturday).
At a press conference late this evening, Penang deputy CPO Abdul Rahim Jaafar said the victim’s body was taken to the General Hospital for a post-mortem examination after it was retrieved at 8.49pm. A man believed to be a family member fainted on seeing the body bag and was carried out on stretcher and driven away by Civil Defence.
Fire and Rescue deputy director Mohamad Shoki Hamzah said a I-beam was lifted by crane while rescuers pulled the body out of the car.
Family members including a man believed to be the brother of the victim had arrived at the scene at about 7pm. The man was escorted through the police barricade to visit the rescue scene.
Four people are believed to have died, and a motor-cyclist suffered head injuries this evening, when a ramp collapsed at Penang’s second cross-Channel bridge, now under construction near Batu Maung on the island.
A 30m-long section of the ramp collapsed on Jalan Batu Maung below, crushing a Perodua Kelisa and another car. The four people inside were feared dead. The motor-cylist was taken to hospital with head injuries.
Rescue work was still going on this evening. Hundreds of firemen from throughout the state as well as volunteers were at the scene extricating the debris to reach cars and motorcycles under the rubble.
The wreckage comprised metal scaffolding and steel beams.
Photos: The Star, Kwong Wah Yit Poh, Guang Ming Daily, Andrew Chong
New Straits Times reported earlier that several motorists were believed trapped when a crane toppled at the ramp. It was believed that four vehicles were involved.
This shows what might be the final posting by the notorious pro-Umno blogger Papagomo, said to be a police constable sacked only late last year, and the man given exclusive access by the Defence Ministry to KD Tunku Abdul Rahman, one of the Navy’s two controversial submarines two years ago.
It was posted yesterday, two days after he announced on Twitter that he was quitting to concentrate on his apparel business.
The posting shows Umno president Najib Razak performing the haj and counsels him to be patient. It is a striking combination: Najib’s pose in the photo shows him in apparent supplication to the powers above — seemingly looking upwards towards: Papagomo’s patron saint, Mahathir Mohamad.
Anti-Chinese as always like his hero the bigot Mahathir
Although he said he’s quitting the blog, Papagomo has made a sporadic appearance on Twitter since Monday. He has used Twitter for his virulently anti-Anwar Ibrahim campaign, as well as a steady stream of bigotry and abuse at Malaysian Chinese, and the DAP in particular. At midnight last night, he said: Read more…
I'm done…. Itu yang Gomo boleh katakan dalam perjuangan dengan nama blog Papa Gomo. Bagi peluang blogger baru gegar alam maya ini.—
Papa Gomo (@PapaGomo) June 03, 2013
Papagomo says he’s done. He announced on Twitter on Monday that he’s decided to concentrate on his apparel business and stop blogging, after several years of controversial postings which included sex videos implicating opposition politicians.
The infamous pro-Umno blogger gained national notoriety for publishing videos of a man resembling a politician and a woman said to be a China prostitute, and later being granted access by Mindef (the defence ministry) to the submarine KD Tunku Abdul Rahman at the Langkawi arms trade event.
Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim sued Papagomo for RM100mil in libel damages in March this year, and identified him as a dismissed police constable Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris, 30.
In retaliation Papa Gomo released a teaser 80-second video on his blog allegedly showing Anwar with a university student who Papa Gomo said Anwar had sodomised. “Anwar Ibrahim Sodomy Mahasiswa Seasons 7 Episode 1″ shows a person resembling Anwar seemingly engaging in small talk with another person who cannot be seen in the video and who was said to be the student.
A week later Federal police headquarters said Wan Muhammad Azri, a police constable, had been dismissed from the force on Sept 6 last year by the disciplinary board after he was found guilty by the Malaysian courts on a criminal charge brought on Oct 31, 2005.
The police statement came after revelations by Parti Keadilan Rakyat strategist Rafizi Ramli that Wan Muahmmad Azri had a police IC as well as a civilian IC and was registered as a voter in two separate constituencies.
A day later police said Wan Muhammad Azri was no longer registered as a postal voter.
Rafizi also revealed that Wan Muhd Azri’s record had been expunged from the Election Commission online voter database, and showed earlier screenshots of Wan Muhd Azri’s registration as a voter in Ampang and Wangsa Maju constituencies in Kuala Lumpur.