Round Two, redux
Now everyone can run a newspaper
By Gobind Rudra
- Start small. Hire idealistic idiot journalists who’ll work for peanuts
- Hire out-of-work old hands who’ll work for peanuts
- Sell sex and sensation
- Sell any old politics: nobody pays attention to mosquito papers
- Sell cheap, at a discount to others
- Repeat as circulation grows and people start paying attention
- Become more serious. Preach ideals
- Hire a few more idealistic idiot journos who’ll work for a few extra peanuts
- Repeat as circulation grows
- Turf out idealistic idiot journos. Hire journos who know better
- Sell political PR and marketing PR
- Watch the ads roll in
- Get listed on the stock exchange
- Turf out idealistic idiots who want to do journalism
- Hire marketing-friendly writers. Anyone can write. Give bigger peanuts.
- Watch the ads roll in.
- Get a datukship. Cash out with stock options
- Sneer at journalists who want to be journalists
- Play golf all day
Life is good if you play the game
Journalism? You want journalism? Don’t be an idiot.
Gobind Rudra used to be a newspaper editor. He doesn’t golf.
© 2011. All rights reserved