May Day scuffle with press [video]

Wooden flag poles, water bottles thrown

from The Sun
What was supposed to be a peaceful Labour Day Anti-GST (Goods and Services Tax) rally turned ugly at its tail end when a handful of youths attacked press photographers at 4.45pm. The attackers from a larger group of more than 30 youths, mostly clad in black and some wearing face masks reminiscent of the movie “V For Vendetta”, swung at those clicking at them.

Wooden flag poles and water bottles were also thrown towards the photographers as police officers looked on. Two photographers were reported to be injured.

About an hour earlier the group had challenged members of Jingga 13, an environmentalist group, but the situation was eased by the intervention of PAS’s Unit Amal members.

They also lighted up magnesium flares which produced orange smoke much to the surprise of the 30,000 crowd which had until then marched peacefully along Jalan Raja to Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad .

The group which called itself “Anarchy” is believed to have piggy-backed on Solidarity Anak Muda Malaysia’s group from the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre before converging in front of Dataran Merdeka.

SAMM chairman Badrul Hisham Shaharin told reporters that the individuals were not part of SAMM, adding that he was apologising over the incident.
FULL REPORT — The Sun’s story by Bernard Cheah, Haikal Jalil and Nabilah Hamudin

Black-clad youths light flares

Soon after the tens of thousands of at the May Day anti-GST rally started dispersing on Wednesday, a group of 200 black clad youths with covered faces from Solidariti Anak Muda Malaysia flared torches and conducted their own style of protest.

Led by Badrul Hisham Shahrin (Chegubard), they marched from one end of Sultan Ismail building to the other, waving black flags and shouting slogans for freedom of youth. They said they were fed up with ceramahs (speeches) and political parties.

As they turned back from the other end, they bumped into photographers and journalists busy chasing them. A scuffle broke out, with a nasty exchange of words and a few blows.
Police and DBKL officers, watching from the sidelines, did not intervene and the group later sprayed anti-GST slogans onto the road.

A reporter from Wall Street Journal was seen ticking him off about respecting the media, to which he listened quietly.

Later, as the group were leaving, another scuffle with the press occurred at the Jalan Tun Perak traffic lights: they put up their middle fingers and said nasty things to the journalists.

FULL REPORT — Zakia Koya’s story at