Skip to content

Charlie Hebdo: here we go again!

Wed 2015-Feb-25 @ MYT 12:20:22 pm
I know some will say that we are obsessed, but we’re not the ones who are obsessed. It’s those who create the news who are obsessed. And those who create it are terrorists. Gérard Biard, chief editor
The newspaper, just like any newspaper, must continue because life goes on, the news continues. Patrick Pelloux, columnist

 

The latest issue, out today. © Charlie Hebdo

FRANCE 24

It’s business as usual at the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, resuming publication more than a month after two gunmen attacked their offices in Paris, killing 12, including the editor, Charb.

“We needed a break, a rest… There were those who needed to work again straight away, like me, and those who wanted to take more time,” says Gérard Biard, the publication’s new chief editor. “So we reached a compromise, and agreed on February 25… to start off again on a weekly basis.”

The paper had rushed out a “survivors’ issue” the week after the shooting on January 7, selling out an 8mil print run far beyond expectations. Its usual print run had been 60,000 copies and the weekly had been struggling financially.

If the cover of Charlie Hebdo’s next issue says anything, it’s that it will be business as usual: itt features a range of political and religious figures, including former French president Nicolas Sarkozy, a jihadist and the pope, as a pack of rabid dogs over the headline, “…Here we go again!”

The satirical weekly has a long history of courting controversy, lampooning political and religious figures of all stripes.

The two men who attacked Charlie Hebdo, brothers Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, claimed that the massacre was in revenge for the paper’s past caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed. Many Muslims consider any depiction of the prophet as blasphemous although the Quran itself does not contain any such prohibition, scholars have said.

In an act of defiance, the cover of Charle Hebdo’s “survivors’ issue” featured a teary-eyed Prophet Mohammed brandishing a “Je Suis Charlie” sign beneath the headline “All Is Forgiven”.

“Je Suis Charlie” was the slogan taken up around the world to express solidarity with the weekly.

The January 14 cartoon itself once again stirred anger, triggering sometimes violent protests in several Muslim countries.

Back to the drawing board

As per tradition, the publication’s new cover was decided on Monday, to ensure that it is as timely as possible.

Ahead of the cover’s release, Biard said that the issue will inevitably deal with extremism, particularly in light of the shootings in Copenhagen on February 14 and 15, which echoed the Paris attacks.

“It’s just as relevant as before. I know some will say that we are obsessed, but we’re not the ones who are obsessed,” Biard said. “It’s those who create the news who are obsessed. And those who create it are terrorists.

“After Copenhagen, we will be forced to talk about it again. But there’s also Dominique Strauss-Kahn, it’s lucky we have him!”

Strauss-Kahn, former head of the International Monetary Fund, is on trial on charges of aggravated pimping, bringing to light salacious details of his sex life.

Wednesday’s issue will also address the debt crisis in Greece, featuring an interview with the country’s new Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis.

“For this issue, we’re starting over. The funerals have taken place, we have to make do with the absence of the others, and that’s where it’s tough,” Charlie Hebdo columnist Patrick Pelloux said in a television interview.

“We’ve been realising for some time that they didn’t just go away on holiday. The newspaper, just like any newspaper, must continue because life goes on, the news continues,” he added.

The editorial team is still working out of the offices of left-wing daily Liberation, where they relocated following the attack, but they are thinking of moving in a few weeks.

They visited a location in a southern district of Paris, but security now dictates their choices.

“Nothing is certain about these premises,” Biard said, adding that a study was underway to determine whether the site could be fitted with a secure entrance.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: